Homemade Marshmallows (no HFCS)
- 2 Tbsp gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups cane sugar
- Another 1/2 cup of cold water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with coconut oil.
- Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water in a small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and 1/2 cup water, cooking over medium heat and stirring until fully dissolved.
- Add the gelatin mixture and bring to a boil, stirring to combine.
- Pour this into a mixing bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Add the salt and vanilla.
- With an electric mixer, beat for 10-15 minutes, until it doubles in volume.
- Pour into your square pan, and set aside until cool.
- Coat the top with cornstarch or powdered sugar. Turn out onto a cutting board and coat the bottom with cornstarch or powdered sugar as well.
- Cut into 1-2 inch squares, and roll in powdered sugar to coat the remaining sticky sides.
The original recipe can be found here.